Sunday, March 16, 2008

Getting My Greens

When I visit people at their homes, I try my best to just blend in with what they normally do...I just want to share some time, not be a pain. So I just followed Lorraine around like an overgrown puppy. First we had to make a stop or two. I snagged this picture while waiting in my car because I thought all those stripes and lines together in one view were...fabulous. Not sure what Lorraine thinks, though, LOL...
Maybe it's just an artist thing. But I like it.
Anyway, after getting to her house and tossing a few things in, greeting the kitties and catching breaths, Lorraine said she had some golfing planned. I could stay or go or whatever. Well, I'd never actually been golfing before...not that I golfed in this instance, either, but...I mean, I've lived in Tucson, where they grow golf courses from seed sprouts (according to satellite, the house my parents built when I was a kid, out in the middle of the desert, is now a direct neighbor to a country club golf course...when did THAT happen??), miniature-golfed a few times, live a few stones' throws from the Dominion golf course, boss' son is actually majoring in golfology, etc. etc., but I've never seen a game from a green. Personally I'm not much of a sports enthusiast unless it happens to be very visually appealing and/or something I probably couldn't do without a few extra lifetimes. I used to do synchronized swimming, and I can see the appeal of figure skating, equestrianism, diving, dancing and a few other things...I always wanted to study archery and fencing, for that matter, but never got the chance...anyway, walk around a golf course? Why not? More photo ops.

So off to the greens we went. Lorraine and her group were playing some sort of golfing game within the game, too. I played observer, film crew and water caddie.

Unlike the previous morning in Ontario, it felt quite close to August here in southern Michigan. I didn't think it was quite the brain-melter everyone else around seemed to, but I was getting rather warm since I was dressed in layers (having frozen the other day) and did finally resort to taking off my sweater. I was thirsty, though. We weren't exactly tempting fate with a lack of Gatorade...we all toodled about in golf carts. I get a bigger workout walking the dog. That, of course, isn't the point...

Is it?

Lorraine takes her first whack of the day...

The fans watch quietly and respectfully from afar. Lorraine lines up the shot at the beginning of the game. That was good, but this is how you should do it... The snowbirds hug the shade to size up the situation. Lorraine assumes the position...
I feel like I'm at Disneyland riding around in these little carts. Except for all the cuss words and bawdiness. You learn all kinds of stuff when you travel.

Lorraine's gotten so good she golfs two-fisted. Or maybe it's the sly salad tong approach among the greens...
Again it (belatedly) occurred to me that I should try filming. After all, the whole activity of this pricey sport is in swinging at the little ball. First clip is a bit...clipped.

No comments: